Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Grammar Girl (and Boy)

The thing I love most about this job is the witty banter between members of my team. I have said it once and I will say it again: I have never been more honored to work with a bunch of people who are so intellectually gifted that it sometimes scares the hell out of me.

There's B who is a repository of useless information/trivia. There's M who is a son of a prominent journalist but for some reason (maybe because he is from that school in Taft) is sometimes exceedingly slow when it comes to understanding stuff. There's C who is called The One in our team because of her exceptional writing and editing skills. And of course, there's our Boss R who is just as crazy as the rest of us.

But I digress. Just this morning, B was asking C and me for words he can use to replace "take into account." Our suggestions were "consider" or "factor in". He didn't like both and instead opted to flip his sentence or some other strategy just so he can use "take into account". And then he asked C whether the word "roll out" needed a hyphen. Here is how their conversation went:


B: How do you spell roll out?
C: Depends. Do you want to use it as noun or as a verb? If you use it as a verb, you don't need to use a hypen. If it is a noun, it has to hypenated.
B: But I am using it as an adjective.
C: What do you mean?
B: As in "roll out time"
C: (without batting an eyelash) with a hyphen.
B: But word does not want to accept it.
C: Then Word is wrong. You're better than MS Word.
B: The spelling is not being accepted.
C: Eh sino ba masusunod? Ikaw o machine?

Author's thought: May point nga naman itong si C. Mas mautak nga naman si B kesa kay MS word =)

Anyways, this is just but one example of many grammar discussions we have each day. I must say that it does not only make for an interesting blog story. I actually learn something out of it. Another important discussion we had was about them things we call "em dash" and "en dash." C actually blogged about it here.

So C and B, keep 'em discussions coming. They're downright funny and enlightening at the same time. Love you both for it.

5 Comments:

Blogger tinsky10 said...

hi tins! hwu? :) this post is so comic :D hehe! where do you work now?

i'll link you up ok? tc! :)

July 17, 2008 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Random Thoughts said...

hi Tin!! Yeah, my colleagues are funny that way. I am now with Baker & McKenzie, a global law firm whose Global services office is here in Global City Taguig. I am part of their writing desk =)

Are you still with the travel agency in Malate?

Sure, you can link me up. I would link you up too but don't know hoq to do that just yet. hehehe.

Take care din!! =)

July 17, 2008 at 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, girl! no wonder you love that place so much. ^_^

July 17, 2008 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

hoy Cristina, dahan dahan ka sa pagbanggit dun sa paaralan sa Taft Avenue! Bumusina ka hoy. Hehehehe. Haaay I miss those kinds of people!

July 17, 2008 at 11:56 PM  
Blogger Random Thoughts said...

Hi Chie...well, ang umalma guilty hahaha!! Madami namang schools sa Taft e =)

How's Nana?

July 18, 2008 at 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home