Friday, July 4, 2008

Nana...

... is my surrogate mother in Singapore. Like any mother, she coooked for me and Chie even after a long day's work. She would walk a few blocks, sometimes take the train, just so she could give us our daily ration of food. And when we were sick, she would watch over us until we were well again. She did everything to prevent us from getting homesick, even though sometimes, we knew she was feeling it too.

Last week, doctors found lumps in Nana's breast. Thankfully, they weren't cancerous. Unfortunately, nana had to undergo a mastectomy just the same. Through it all, Chie was by her side. And I wasn't. Not that I wanted it that way. I'm sure she understood that I just couldn't fly to Singapore in a moment's notice.

Anyways, Chie told me yesterday that Nana is recovering well and is actually reverting to her usual, bubbly self. At one point in our conversation, Chie asked me why this had to happen to Nana, of all people. Nana is a good person, Chie said. She didn't deserve this. Chie's questions got me thinking. And not feeling clever, sent her a note which hopefully bears some truth to it.

Bad things happen because they just do. Nana didn't do anything wrong. And truth be told, I don't think she deserved it either. But Nana's faith is strong, as you said, and this event in her life will not change that. She knows in her heart that this is not a test of faith. Think of the good things, Chie. At least, the results were negative of cancer. At least she is not in pain. At least, she had you to hold her hand and take care of her. She may not have a partner but with a niece like you, why else would she need one?

So, Chie, kudos to you for the strenght you have shown Nana. Nana, please get well soon. I will see you when you come home here sa Pinas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home