Monday, June 2, 2008

Belated Happy Birthday, Lolo Dos

Dear Lolo Dos,

Sorry I missed greeting you on your actual birthday, May 29. It was pretty hectic at work and I just didn't get a chance to get some time off so I could visit you. Dad had a busy schedule, too, over at Church. They are in the middle of feeding program for kids and had already committed to driving some of the committee members on some errands. I do feel bad about not being able to even hear mass to celebrate your birthday. But, you know in my heart that I did not forget.

It hurts to say this but I hardly remember your face nowadays. After all, I was barely 7 when you passed away. Somehow, I do remember the day I last saw you. It was the day before christmas and I recall how Dad took me on a bicycle ride from our house to the compound. I barely remember him saying I need to say goodbye to you. Of course, at that time, I did not know that that goodbye would be the last I will ever say to you. Next thing I remember was my mom taking me to SM to buy a white dress I will be wearing for your requiem mass. I do remember too that it was the most somber Christmas ever.

I feel terribly, terribly sad to realize that I shared only six years of my life with you. For the first 6 years of my life, people told me that you were one of my biggest fans. And my staunch supporter. You always had a way of sparing me from Lola Bien's patpat and sermon everytime I missed an afternoon nap or failed to clean up after my own mess. I don't remember the details now but I do remember how it felt like to be genuinely loved by a grandfather, despite only having six years with you.

I know you and Lola Bien are happy together now. I know you've waited many years to be with your soulmate again. I hope that Lola Bien had many wonderful stories about us that she shared with you. We weren't perfect grandkids but we did try to do good. You would be most especially proud of Kuya. He set the bar for all of us, your Tenorio grandkids. Because of him, we had a role model to look up to. We can only hope that we get to accomplish a fraction of what he has.

Tony is now an Architect and is making his mark in the Lion City with the 4th biggest architectural firm in the world. He is every inch the Tenorio -- even is a spitting image of Lolo Tonio, according to Tita Mita.

As for me, well, I did not turn out to a lawyer although, I am working for the biggest law firm in the world. As a writer. Funny, huh? I also am a mother now, as you might very well know. To a little boy who has become the center of my life. Every time I see him playing with my Dad, I get a glimpse of how it would have been perfect if you were with us now. You would have spoiled him rotten, too.

I miss you, Lolo Dos. I would have wanted to have more years to spend with you, learn from you, and laugh with you. Six years years was far too short but hey, it was still better than nothing. Happy Birthday!

Love,
Tins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home