Friday, May 23, 2008

A family affair

Oh what a week it has been! Almost every balikbayan in our family travelled half way around the world to attend my cousin Gab's wedding last Satruday. And what a reunion it has been! Actually, it was anti-climactic for me since I got to see most of them too while I was in the US. I spent some serious bonding time with Patrick (now officially one of my favorite cousins!) while I was in Chicago as well as with Nicole and Celine (have always been my ALL-TIME favorite cousins) while I was in LA. But I dunno, having them here in Manila (Arlo, Jonathan, Celine, Nic and Patrick) is an all-together different treat for me.
They arrived (with the exception of Nic, who arrived on the day itself) a few days before the wedding but I didn't get a chance to hang out with them until the wedding day itself. As expected, kulitan amid super sarap food and wine. We also had some nice pics taken (which I hope Nic or Celine would send me a copy of) with the newly weds. By the way, I must say that all of us just loves Mitz, our newest cousin-in-law. Aside from being real pretty, she is also very friendly and kalog -- like all of us. Sayang talaga that I didn't get to take some days off from work to spend time with them. Oh well...

The day after the wedding, we all trooped to Laurel, Batangas for a "picnic". It was such a long, long ride that when Tita Ella quipped, "piso na lang ata nasa langit na tayo", I could not help but agree. But the food was great and the company, even greater! The only sad thing about that trip was that Anton tripped (yet again) and cut his lower lip. Poor Baby!!! For the first time, nag bleed ang baby ko!! Argh!! It was horrible. Buti na lang, Tito Bibok's wife is a nurse and she immediately assisted us para mag stop yung bleeding. Anton is ok now, though. The doctor just prescribed an ointment for the singaw.

Tuesday, my titas, uncles and cousins had dinner at our house in Cavite on the way back from Tagaytay. It wasn't such a long visit but at least they got to see our humble abode and play with my pride and joy. Mom served them a mean menu consisting of Pata tim, pinaputok na tilapia, lechon kawali, sinigang na bangus belly and nilagang bulalo. O di ba?!? Pinoy na pinoy ang menu. For dessert: my mom's famous matamis na saging! Panalo!

Wednesday, our team at the office treated Patrick, Nic and our newest addition to the Writing Desk, Marc to lunch over at Abe in Serendra. Sarap ulit ng pagkain. We had Lechon Cubano, Plapla, kare-kare, pinakbet, and crispy adobo!! My cousins loved it!!

As with most good things, this week has come to an end. In a few hours, Nic and her family will be flying back to LA. Patrick left yesterday for Chicago while Tita Laluy is set to fly tomorrow for Conneticut. Hay..nakakalungkot talaga. But then again, the world is a lot smaller now and with a multiple entry visa, seeing them might be a bit more feasible.

Times like these, I really am glad I belong to a close-knit family. I actually feel very proud of the bond we have as a family. True,We don't see each other often (swerte na if we see each other every 2 years).True, we are separated by land masses called continents -- most of us are in the Western Hemisphere while a few of us are in the Eastern Hemisphere. And there's even a few of us Down Under. Still, we are never really quite apart as some people think we are. In times of immense grief, we are able to console each other, no matter how far apart we all are. In times of great joy, we find ways to celebrate triumphs, milestones and simple achievements together. And when we need help, we know we can reach out for help. And we know too that help will come. Sabi nga ni Tita Nora, daig pa ng mga Tenorios ang network ng CNN!! Hehehe.

If there is one thing my dad has taught me well, it is this: family is always important. It doesn't matter whether you are rich or poor. If you have family, you are already very blessed. And that's true. I just need to look at our family pics --both old and new-- and I know how right my dad is. My family is not perfect and like everyone else, we have our quirks and petty tampuhans. But we always rise above it. More importantly, we take care of each other. Come what may. And that, I learned, is what family is all about.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

i got homesick from reading this entry.

btw can you ask mamu how to cook her lechon kawali? i can never get it right. please please. thanks tins mwah!

May 24, 2008 at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home