Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Movie love

I've always been a movie buff -- that is until I had a baby. the weekly movie nights has become a series of DVD sessions, often interrupted by daily chores. But I am not complaining. I have had my heydey of movie-watching and I wouldn't give up one minute with Anton for one movie.

Anyways, thoughts of good 'ol movie-watching days got me listing some of my favortie love movies. Some of which I like because of their "kilig" factor, some of them I like because of their witty dialogues, some I like because..well, just because. Here are some of my pinaka favorite movies yet.

1. The American President

Aside from the endearing, albeit almost fairy tale-like story, i especially like this movie for the witty banter between characters. I particularly like Michael Douglas' speech before the US congress where he talks about what the Bill of Rights entails:


"You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the land of the free."

Galing di ba? Oh, another thing I love about this flick is that it combines two of the things which I think makes the world go round. Nope it ain't money. It's love and...politics.


2. While you were sleeping

This film is one of those rare movies that captured the essence of a close-knit American family. What drew me to this movie is that the love concept went beyond the usual romantic sort. It just wasn't about the love that Lucy found with Jack --but rather, it is about Lucy, an orphan, falling in love with Jack's family and vice versa.

"The truth was that I fell in love with you. Yes, all of you. I went from being all alone to being a fiancee, a daughter, a grandaughter, a sister, and a friend. I may have saved your life that day, but you really saved mine. You let me be a part of your family. I haven't had that in a really long time."

3. My bestfriend's wedding

I guess most women can relate to the big concept of this movie: falling in love with your bestfriend. But for me, what made this movie stand out was the face that it it boldly opted for a different kind of "happy ending".

Some people say they were quite disappointed with the film because Julia Roberts did not end up with Dermot Mulroney but as she says in her wedding speech, "I see that the world is just as it should be.For my best friend has won the best woman."

Aww..sweet.

(This is just a partial list -- ranked in no particular order. I will complete the list depending on my work load. That means give or take a few years.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home