Wednesday, March 19, 2008

New generation sinning

The Vatican has recently released a new list of 7 deadly sins --yes, in addition to the original 7.

Original 7:
Pride
Lust
Wrath
Greed
Sloth
Envy
Gluttony

21st century sinning
genetic modification
experimenting on humans
polluting the environment
causing social injustice
causing poverty
becoming obscenely wealthy
taking drugs

I'm not quite sure how to take this news. While I agree with the Vatican that sin should have a "social resonance", I think the new list of deadly sins does not quite fit into the category of a mortal sin. I mean, why is taking drugs included in the list but abortion is not? I don't see murder in either the old or new lists too. And what exactly do they mean about polluting the environment? Does this include petty littering? I hope not.

I do understand that the Vatican had good intentions when they decided to come out with this list and they probably just wanted us to become more accountable for the little things that we do each day. But don't you think condemning us to eternal damnation just because we want to be "obscenely wealthy" is a bit going to far? Bill Gates is obscenely wealthy but he worked hard for what he has now. And more importantly, he is sharing his "obscene wealth" with impoverished children all over the world through his foundation --which many are now trying to emulate. I am neither a heretic nor a fan of Bill Gates. I just don't like the idea that using the car (with all its fuel emissions) would earn me a ticket to hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home