Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Two years and two days

I’ve been told one too many times that marriage is not a bed of roses. Having been married for two years and two days, I know this to be true. But I also know that it is a wonderful journey worth taking with someone you love. And for me, I can’t see myself going through this path with anyone else except with the man I married. Sure we’ve stepped on some landmines along the way, hurt each other a few times with words we never really meant to say. But I still wouldn’t trade this for the world. Ok, maybe I can consider if it’s Aga Muhlach we are talking about…but, I kid, ofcourse.

I now know that it’s actually glitches like these that makes relationships much stronger. In two years, I’ve realized that marriage is not just about the L word (I meant Love, in case you were thinking of something else). I’ve learned that the success of the marriage hinges mostly on the couple’s ability to accept each other’s difference.

In the beginning, I must admit that I resented the fact that Joel was not like me. That he didn’t talk to me about things that were important to him. That he often kept to himself during social calls. That he wasn’t comfortable about sharing his feelings, thoughts and plans. I thought that making this marriage meant molding him into the person I wanted him to be. But after two years, I realized that it really is all about acceptance. That we have to revel in our differences. That our difference is what drives our growth as individuals and as a couple.

More importantly, I realized that marriage is about partnership. That it really is important to have someone whom you can count on, someone you can trust, from the littlest of things to the most important of tasks — like taking care of the little one.

Last night, while I was attending our team dinner, Joel took over the task of putting Anton to bed. It took him awhile but he did it. I was able to enjoy the night with my team because I knew he would take care of Anton. When I went arrived home a little before midnight, I saw them sleeping beside each other — father facing son and son facing father. Watching them peacefully sleep together, I knew I married the right man. Flaws and all.




Happy anniversary to us, Joel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home